There have been many cases of gas cylinder explosions and when this happens, lives are lost and properties worth millions are destroyed.
However, there are so many danger signs we need to look out for while using a Gas cylinder.
Safety Tips for gas cylinders
A Cooking gas cylinders must not exceed five years: It is important to keep track of the days and replace them as soon as possible.
Do not buy used Gas cylinders.
· Watch out for the expiry dates: The steps to check the expiry date are very simple and basic. The expiry of LPG cylinder can be found on one of the metal strips that connect the body of the cylinder to top ring (handle). It is mentioned on the inner side of the strip. The strip has any of the alphabets from A to D painted on it along with a number. Decoding the expiry date is simple. The alphabet represents the month it expires while the number indicates the year. A year is divided into four quarters :
A – during cylinder change-over).
* Ensure the valve is protected by a valve cap or collar, or that the valve has been designed to withstand impact if the cylinder is dropped.
* Store gas cylinders in a dry, safe place on a flat surface in the open air. If this is not reasonably practicable, store in an adequately ventilated building or part of a building specifically reserved for this purpose.
* Cylinders containing flammable gas should not be stored in part of a building used for other purposes.
* Protect gas cylinders from external heat sources that may adversely affect their mechanical integrity.
* Gas cylinders should be stored away from sources of ignition and other flammable materials.